AUGUST BOARD MEETING
The August Board Meeting originally scheduled for Monday, August 17 has been moved to August 31.
Tarkington Independent School District
Be sure to check out the website for your child’s campus for activities and important events taking place
Registration is Now Open
If you are needing to register a new student to Tarkington ISD, please contact your child's campus to schedule a registration appointment.
Tarkington Primary School (Grades PK-3) - (281) 592-7736
Tarkington Intermediate School (Grades 4-5) - (281) 592-6134
Tarkington Middle School (Grades 6-8) - (281) 592-7737
Tarkington High School (Grades 9-12) - (281) 592-7739
2 020-2021 School Calendar Update
After reviewing calendar options and input from the TISD Planning Task Force, TISD Board of Trustees approved an updated calendar for the 2020-2021 school year at its June 29th meeting. The updated calendar follows the original calendar as closely as possible, changing some professional development days to instructional days and allowing for an earlier start date of August 12th for students.
The calendar also designates some professional development days and school holidays as potential make-up days should closures occur during the coming school year. In addition, TEA Guidance suggests that if schools are required to close, the year may need to be extended to accommodate lost instructional days. If these COVID-19 Make Up days are not needed, they will continue to be holidays and/or professional development days as indicated.
We know you have questions about TISD’s plans for the reopening and start of school in August. Guidance is changing almost daily and the Texas Education Agency has not yet finalized guidelines. Our Planning Task Force and staff are working on our plan as quickly as possible, depending on information from the state. We will communicate finalized plans as soon we can before the start of school.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to navigate the challenges ahead and work to provide for the safety of our students and staff while ensuring the quality instruction our students and parents expect and deserve.
Tarkington ISD will be holding a Substitute Teacher Training session on Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. in the Administration Board Room. If you are interested in becoming a substitute teacher for TISD, please fill out the online application located under the Employment section of the website. If you have previously applied but have not attended a training and would like to, please contact DeAnna McKay at
Tarkington ISD will empower and inspire every student
to meet the challenges of our rapidly changing world with
academic preparedness, a passion for life-long learning,
and a sense of social responsibility.
In the belief that all children should be educated to the fullest extent of their individual abilities, the Tarkington Independent School District's mission is to provide the essential academic skills and the necessary knowledge base for the student's lifelong learning. All students will be taught a core curriculum of English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, fine arts, health, physical education, and technological literacy. All students will acquire a knowledge of citizenship and their economic responsibility, based on an appreciation of our American heritage and an understanding of the importance of its multicultural richness.
The Tarkington Independent School District will:
• provide the student with the opportunities to acquire communication and computational skills needed for functioning in a changing society.
• distribute with equity, for all students, all educational opportunities and resources.
• provide the student with adequate facilities and opportunities to apply his understanding of the skills and knowledge acquired in the classroom.
• provide the student with knowledge and skills for economic and occupational competence.
• aid the student with acquiring attitudes and skills that will promote good personal health and physical fitness.
• provide the proper atmosphere and opportunity in which the student can demonstrate an ability to participate in the American social and governmental process.
• help the student attain a knowledge, and an awareness and concern for important environmental and conservation factors.
• help the student develop and use problem solving, creative and critical thinking, and reasoning skills.